MotoRepublik thanks the media and suppoters over injustice

MotoRepublik Zimbabwe’s first creative hub, artist centre yesterday issued a press release thanking the media for attracting public outcry through a #SaveMotoRepublik campaign following Harare City Council’s attempts to illegally demolish it.

The Harare City Council have since argued that MotoRepublic arts centre was constructed with material that is not permissible by Council regulations of freight containers that are only allowed to be used in industrial and commercial zones as storage facilities and was constructed without the relevant authorisation.

On 17 Friday March the arts centre took Harare City Council to the High Court seeking an order to interdict the council from eviction and ask for compensation for damages made during demolition attempt.

“We would like to thank the media for highlighting the injustice of an attempt to destroy such a vital centre for youth empowerment and innovation.

“Never the struggle continues to save Moto Republic and to keep the containers standing.

“We urge all our supporters out there to continue to ask our elected representatives, Minister Kasukuwere and Mayor Manyenyeni, to bring an end to this destructive path,” press release.

Earlier on, Friday, 17 March last week Minister of Local Governance, Public Works and National Housing, Hon Kasukuwere said government will not allow its closure.

“Government won’t allow its closure.

“Important centre that is for youth empowerment and creativity.

“Engage and correct whatever needs correcting,” he said.

The Harare City Council has asked for postponement of eviction up to today 22 March 2017.

 

Talent Chapanduka

Quality writing and in-depth reporting.
Follow her on twitter

more recommended stories