The Nigeria Union based in South Africa on Tuesday said five Nigerians had been attacked in Polokwane, Limpopo Province of that country in renewed xenophobic attacks.
Collin Mgbo, Secretary of the Union in the Province, told the News Agency of Nigeria on telephone from Polokwane that three of the five Nigerians attacked were in critical condition in the hospital.
“I received a call that a Nigerian was attacked at Ivy Park in Polokwane on March 15. I got to the scene and saw that the Nigerian was almost dead, his house was looted and burnt”, he said.
Mr. Mgbo said another Nigerian was also attacked in the same neighbourhood same day and that while he got to the scene, the mob left the wounded man and descended on him.
“They left the wounded Nigerian and faced me. They destroyed my car and I managed to escape and ran to a police station”, he said.
The secretary added that three Nigerians, including the owner of a mechanic’s garage, were attacked at Moledji, near Polokwane.
“Our national secretariat is on top of the situation. As we speak, three Nigerians in the hospital are in critical condition and I do not know if they will survive because of the severity of the attack”, he said.
Mgbo urged the Federal Government to persuade its South African counterpart to ensure the safety of Nigerians in their country.
When contacted on phone, the Permanent Secretary, Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Olusola Enikanolaye, said the ministry had not been briefed about the incident.
Similar, in February, property worth millions of dollars belonging to Nigerians, were destroyed.
The Federal Government later sent a delegation led by Minister of Foreign Affairs, Geoffry Onyeama, and his Interior counterpart, Abdulrahman Dambazau, to South Africa for discussion on curtailment of the attacks.
more recommended stories
South Africa to vaccinate teenagers with single dose of Pfizer
South Africa will start vaccinating children.
Are xenophobic attacks on the rise in South Africa?
Two shops belonging to foreign nationals.
At least 5 dead after a disused diamond mine collapse in S.Africa
At least five people are presumed.
At least 10 killed in tragic bus crash on the N3, KwaZulu-Natal
At least 10 people have been.
SA Government pleased by removal of South Africa from UK’s red list
South African government is pleased with.
Nelson Mandela widow urges end to violence against South African women
Widow of Nelson Mandela, Graça Machel.
WATCH: Jacob Zuma speaks for the first time, urges people to vote ANC
South African former President Jacob Zuma.
South Africa metal workers begin indefinite strike
South Africa’s biggest engineering metalworkers union.