Deadliest attack in Kabul since US toppled Taliban

After a catastrophic truck bomb killed more than 80 people and wounded 460 last Wednesday, demonstrators took the streets to protest against the government over its security record.

The truck bomb on Wednesday was one of the deadliest attacks in Kabul since the U.S.-led campaign that toppled the Taliban in 2001.

Now at the funeral of one of the victims in Kabul on Saturday who died after severe injury when protesters clashed with police, another explosion killing at least 12 people. A wave of violence continues to sweep through the capital since this week’s mass truck bomb.

The explosions occurred at the funeral for Mohammad Salim Izadyar, the son of the deputy Senate speaker. Two witnesses at the scene of the funeral said at least 12 people had been killed. Tolo News TV and other Afghan media reported a toll as high as 18. A further 18 people were reported to have been wounded.

Government Chief Executive Abdullah Abdullah was at the funeral but was unharmed, a statement from his office said. Several senior security officials had been wounded.

The Taliban has denied ownership over this most recent attack, despite having form for these kind of bomb attacks. Instead they have blamed government rivalries as they imply more of a conspiracy explanation.

It seems rather barbaric to plant a bomb at a funeral but that speaks to the ruthlessness of the violence currently in Kabul.

 

See also  Trump's lawyer former associate found guilty of illegal campaign financing

more recommended stories