Islamic State claims responsibility for London terror attack

In a statement from its news agency Amaq, ISIS has claimed “IS fighters” carried out the London terror attack that killed seven people. New York Times correspondent Rukmini Callimachi (@rcallimachi) has translated and explained the statement.

 

Seven people were killed and 48 injured in the attack on Saturday, with 21 fighting for their lives in hospital all across London.

Twelve people have been arrested in connection with the atrocity after an armed raid in Barking, east London. A further raid has also taken place in East Ham.

It emerged earlier on Sunday that police fired an “unprecedented” 50 bullets to kill the three London Bridge terrorists because they believed the attackers were wearing suicide belts, the country’s head of counter-terrorism said.

Assistant Commissioner Mark Rowley said a member of the public also received a gunshot wound in the hail of bullets from the eight office

Pro-Islamic State social media users claimed the London attacks were revenge for the RAF’s “love from Manchester” air strike, according to the Site intelligence monitoring group.

A photograph emerged last week of an RAF bomb with the message “love from Manchester” written on it. It was on its way to strike Isil targets in Syria. According to Site, one Twitter user posted the image and wrote: “This is your merchandise and tonight we responded.”

Earlier, Theresa May warned that Britain is in the grip of a spate of copycat terror attacks in the wake of the London Bridge atrocity.

The Prime Minister delivered a stark assessment of the threat facing the UK after seven people were murdered and dozens more injured by three terrorists on Saturday night.

See also  Donald Trump launches social media platform called Truth Social

It was the third terrorist outrage to hit the country this year following the Westminster and Manchester attacks.

Speaking outside Downing Street, Mrs May said that although there was no direct link between the three incidents, “terrorism breeds terrorism”.

New figures from NHS England show that of 48 people taken to hospital on Saturday night, 36 are currently being cared for in central London hospitals

Of these, 21 remain in a critical condition.

Metropolitan Police commissioner Cressida Dick condemned the atrocity as “appalling” and “ghastly”.

She said police believe there were three attackers at London Bridge and Borough Market and that all had been “neutralised”.

more recommended stories