Tributes to British-born boy, 7, killed in Barcelona attack

British-born Julian Cadman has been confirmed as one of the victims of the Barcelona terror attack.

The family of the seven-year-old, a British-Australian dual national, said they had been “so blessed” to have had him in their lives as they confirmed he was among the 13 killed when a van ploughed into crowds on Las Ramblas on Thursday.

In a statement the family said: “Julian was a much loved and adored member of our family.

“As he was enjoying the sights of Barcelona with his mother, Julian was sadly taken from us.

“He was so energetic, funny and cheeky, always bringing a smile to our faces.

“We are so blessed to have had him in our lives and will remember his smiles and hold his memory dear to our hearts.

“We would like to thank all those who helped us in searching for Julian.

“Your kindness was incredible during a difficult time.

“We also acknowledge we are not the only family to be affected by the events, our prayers and thoughts are with all people affected.”

Julian’s father Andrew Cadman landed in Barcelona yesterday after an agonising flight from Sydney, where the family has lived since Julian was four.

His wife Jumarie was also seriously injured when she and her son were caught up in the massacre on the city’s busy central boulevard, which killed 13 and left more than 130 injured.

They became separated as the vehicle zig-zagged through pedestrians. In the immediate aftermath of the attack, family members posted desperate appeals on social media to find Julian’s whereabouts as many, including British officials, believed he was missing.

In a separate statement shared by the Spanish missing persons bureau, a company named Virbac who Mr Cadman worked for said: “The family of Julian Cadman have informed us that regrettably he is one of the victims of the attack and they have asked us to thank all the people who have spread the news.

“In these unjust, hard and painful moments we share the feelings of Julian’s relatives and friends. Rest in peace.”

Foreign Secretary Boris Johnson tweeted: “I send my sincerest sympathies to the family of Julian Cadman and all those who loved him. His death is a tragedy.

“The FCO, our Australian colleagues & the Spanish authorities continue to do all we can to support his family at this deeply distressing time.”

A Foreign Office spokesman said: “We are assisting the family of an Australian-British child who was killed in the Barcelona terrorist attack.

“His family have our deepest sympathies at this very difficult time. Our staff are doing all they can to support them, working with our Australian colleagues and the Spanish authorities.”

Britain’s ambassador to Spain Simon Manley said: “Sadly, we can confirm that Julian Cadman, a British-Australian child, died in the #Barcelona attack. Our deepest sympathies to his family.”

Meanwhile Catalan emergency services confirmed details of two more people killed in the attack, which also left more than 130 injured.

Officials said another Belgian and a third Italian were among the dead.

more recommended stories