President Donald Trump has delivered a fiery maiden speech at the United Nations General Assembly, which included threatening North Korea and urging nations to stop Iran’s nuclear program.
Here are some reactions from world leaders to his speech:
- The office of the British Prime Minister Theresa May said: “As President Trump said, the international community must continue to work together to confront rogue regimes and that is exactly what the Prime Minister will be doing in discussions with world leaders in New York this week.
“No one wants to see military action, but as we progress with efforts to secure a peaceful diplomatic resolution it would be wrong to rule anything out.”
- French President Emmanuel Macron said on Tuesday he wanted to play a mediation role between Iran and the US to ensure that Tehran was involved in finding a political solution in Syria.
“If we don’t resolve the Syrian problem with Iran around the table, then we will not have an efficient response because Iran today is among the powers that have an influence on the ground,” Macron told a news conference.
He told the UN that renouncing the Iran deal would be a ‘grave error’.
- Iran’s Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif was quoted as saying: “Trump’s shameless and ignorant remarks, in which he ignored Iran’s fight against terrorism, displays his lack of knowledge and unawareness.”
He also took to Twitter with a withering riposte.
“Trump’s ignorant hate speech belongs in medieval times – not the 21st Century UN – unworthy of a reply. Fake empathy for Iranians fools no one,” he posted.
- Swedish Foreign Minister Margot Wallstrom told the BBC it was “the wrong speech, at the wrong time, to the wrong audience”.
- Senior Democrats Chuck Schumer said: “If I were giving the president advice, I would have said avoid using ‘Rocket Man’. We know the leader of North Korea is erratic, to put it kindly. That kind of language I think is risky.”
more recommended stories
Russian Foreign Minister Lavrov claims Zelensky has Jewish blood ‘just like Hitler’
Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov attacked.
Cooking oil shortages hit U.K. as war in Ukraine continues
Supermarket shoppers are preparing for limited.
Moscow: Supply lines for weapons shipments to Ukraine destroyed
Russian troops have destroyed six traction.
Russian air defense shot down plane with Western arms for Ukraine
Russian air defense units have brought.
The U.K. government will send illegal immigrants to Ruwanda
In a move that has been.
China Eastern Airlines Boeing with 132 on board crashes in China
A China Eastern Airlines plane carrying.
North Korea fires multiple-rocket launcher, South Korea says
North Korea appeared to have fired.
SA President Ramaphosa: NATO to blame for Russia’s war in Ukraine
South African President Cyril Ramaphosa has.