Trump calls for New York terror suspect Sayfullo Saipov to get death penalty

Donald Trump has doubled down on his call for the suspected New York terror attacker to be executed. 

Following up on his comments about transferring Sayfullo Saipovto the military prison at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, Mr Trump tweeted: “Would love to send the NYC terrorist to Guantanamo but statistically that process takes much longer than going through the Federal system.”

“There is also something appropriate about keeping him in the home of the horrible crime he committed. Should move fast. DEATH PENALTY!”

Legal experts warned the President’s call for Saipov to be executed could prejudice the trial.

Such comments by the President could be used by defence lawyers to argue their clients cannot get a fair trial.

Saipov, the 29-year-old Uzek immigrant accused of ploughing a truck down a New York City bike path, killing eight people, was hospitalised after he was shot by a police officer and arrested.

He told investigators he had been inspired by watching Isis videos and began plotting Tuesday’s attack a year ago, according to a criminal complaint filed against him.

He confessed to authorities he made a trial run with a rental truck on 22 October to practice turning the vehicle and “stated that he felt good about what he had done” after the attack, the complaint said.

Saipov was charged with one count of providing material support and resources to a foreign terrorist organization, specifically Isis, and one count of violence and destruction of motor vehicles causing the deaths of eight people.

See also  Donald Trump launches social media platform called Truth Social

more recommended stories