Nigerian state governors on Thursday approved the release of $1 billion from the country’s excess oil account to the government to help fight the Boko Haram Islamist insurgency.
The money will come from what is known as the excess crude account, which is a reserve of money earned from selling oil.
The sum is almost half the money in the account.
Although President Muhammadu Buhari has said that the war against Boko Haram had been won, the group continues to mount attacks and carry out suicide bombings in northeastern Nigeria and in neighbouring countries.
more recommended stories
Paloma Mlunjwana Claps back and corrects the narrative
I had to set the record.
Grief Sucks; Brilliant Pongo shares his journey with grief in new book
In his latest offering author Brilliant.
Nigerians banned from going to fight in Ukraine
Nigeria has said it will not.
Ukraine crisis: First batch of students arrive in Ghana
Ghana has become the first African.
African students ‘badly treated at Ukraine borders’
Cold and fearful, scores of South.
Nigeria offers to evacuate its citizens from Ukraine
The government of Nigeria says it.
Mozambique government websites hacked
Hackers say thy have regained control.
African Union suspends Burkina Faso over military coup
The African Union said Monday it.