Gunmen attacked a military parade in the southwestern Iranian city of Ahvaz on Saturday, killing at least eight members of the elite Revolutionary Guard and wounding 20 others, state media said.
A woman and a child were among at least 20 civilians wounded in the attack by a “group of assailants” on the parade in the city of Ahvaz, the official IRNA news agency reported.
Two gunmen opened fire on the large crowd of spectators watching the parade in the city of Ahvaz and then attempted to attack the viewing stand for official dignitaries before being shot and wounded by security forces.
Five attackers were killed on the day, but police said at the time that five people had been arrested at the scene of the attacks in central and south Tehran.
Saturday’s rally was one of many in cities across Iran held to mark the anniversary of the launch of the war with massive Iraqi air strikes.
Iran’s President Hassan Rouhani vowed earlier Saturday to boost his country’s ballistic missile capabilities despite Western concerns that were cited by his US counterpart Donald Trump in May when he abandoned a landmark nuclear deal with Tehran.
more recommended stories
United Nations to launch Gaza aid appeal as Israel-Hamas ceasefire holds
A ceasefire between Israel and Hamas.
Benjamin Netanyahu does not rule out taking over Gaza to stop Hamas attacks
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu vowed.
China ‘open’ to international cooperation to identify coronavirus source
China is “open” to international cooperation.
Jim Jong Un is Not Dead; South Korea says
South Korea believes North Korean leader.
China updates death toll in Wuhan, adds 1,300 to total, blaming reporting delays
Nearly 1,300 people who died of.
Iranian vice president tests positive for the coronavirus as outbreak spreads
Masoumeh Ebtekar, vice president of Iran.