The vehicle used in the abduction of tycoon Mohamed Dewji was registered in one of Tanzania’s neighboring countries, according to Inspector General of Police Simon Sirro. He also called on Tanzania to trust the police to find the missing businessman.
Police Inspector General Simon Sirro declined to say which country the car came from, saying he did not want to cause a diplomatic row.
However, he said the owner and driver of the vehicle had been identified.
Mr Sirro also showed reporters a picture of the car, saying the images had been taken by CCTV cameras before the vehicle went out of view.
Mr Dewji was taken by masked gunmen in Dar es Salaam on Thursday last week. The abduction took place outside a swanky gym in the affluent Oysterbay district.
The kidnappers fired shots in the air before driving away with the billionaire, witnesses said.
His family has offered a 1bn Tanzania shilling ($440,000; £330,000) reward for information that leads to his rescue.
Mr Dewji, locally known as Mo, is credited with turning his family business from a wholesale and retail enterprise into a pan-African conglomerate.
His company, MeTL, has interests in textile manufacturing, flour milling, beverages and edible oils in at least six African states.
more recommended stories
South Africa: Nigerian man sentenced to 45 years for trafficking women, forcing them into sex work
A Nigerian man Alaba Makonjuola Asabi,.
Jacob Zuma lays criminal charge against state prosecutor in corruption trial
Former South African president Jacob Zuma.
UN Secretary-General urges Eswatini to respect children’s rights
United Nations Secretary-General Antonio Guterres called.
South Africa rejects door on Russia’s Sputnik V vaccine – which Zimbabwe approved
South Africa’s drugs regulator said on.
Husband in court over killing of Kenyan athlete Agnes Tirop
The husband of the Kenyan athlete,.
Africa’s Covid cases surpass 8.42 million mark
The number of confirmed Covid-19 cases.
Ivory Coast’s ex-president Gbagbo vows return to political life
Former Ivorian President Laurent Gbagbo says.
Kissing Matt Hancock’s United Nation Africa job offer withdrawn
Former British health secretary Matt Hancock.