Jamal Khashoggi death: Saudi Arabia admits journalist was murdered

Turkish investigators are likely to find out what happened to the body of Jamal Khashoggi before long, a senior official has said, after Saudi Arabia admitted for the first time that the journalist was killed in its Istanbul consulate.

Foreign Minister Adel al-Jubeir said the act had been a “tremendous mistake” and denied the powerful crown prince had ordered the killing.

The journalist was last seen entering the Saudi consulate in Istanbul.

The Saudis, under intense pressure to explain the journalist’s whereabouts, have offered conflicting accounts.

They initially said he had left the building unharmed on 2 October but on Friday admitted for the first time he was dead, saying that he had been killed in a fight. This claim met widespread scepticism.

Turkish officials believe Mr Khashoggi, a prominent critic of the Saudi government, was murdered by a team of Saudi agents inside the building and say they have evidence to prove it.

See also  Donald Trump launches social media platform called Truth Social

more recommended stories