Zimbabwe’s biggest mobile operator Econet Wireless said on Friday it had been ordered to shut down internet in the southern African country until further notice following days of deadly protests over steep fuel price hikes.
The internet was cut off earlier this week, with critics saying the government sought to prevent images of its heavy-handedness in dealing with protesters from being broadcast around the world.
“We were served with another directive for total shutdown of the internet until further notice,” Econet said in a statement. “Our lawyers advised that we are required to comply with the directive pending the court’s decision on its legality.”
Government officials were not immediately available to comment.
more recommended stories
Passion for alcohol 1.3 million Rands spent on booze
Speculation is rife, that the self.
Zimbabwe Activist Makomborero Haruzivishe Granted $20,000 After Spending 9 Months in Jail
Opposition Movement for Democratic Change Alliance.
Schools in Zimbabwe closed indefinitely; Covid or teachers strike?
There is confusion and growing speculation.
Hero Sirizani Butau Rescues 8 people from burning bus
A Kadoma man named as Sirizani.
Fifa warns Zimbabwe about ban on eve of tournament
World governing body Fifa says a.
White Zimbabweans say Gemma has no fixation with black men
With all the drama resulting from.
Zimbabwe: New lockdown measures announced
The lockdown at Level Two would.
Zimbabwe requests to swap Cecil Rhodes remains for Mbuya Nehanda
President Mnangagwa of Zimbabwe has called.