Authorities in northwest Nigeria on Friday said police had discovered the bodies of 66 people, including women and children, in an area known for ethnic and religious clashes.
Security forces have made arrests, state governor Nasir El-Rufai said.
“Security agencies today reported the recovery of 66 bodies that were killed in attacks by criminal elements,” he said in a statement.
“Among the victims were 22 children and 12 women. Four wounded persons rescued by the security agencies are now receiving medical attention.
“(The) government condemns the attacks and commiserates with the families of the victims.”
There was no immediate comment from the police but El-Rufai, a close ally of President Muhammadu Buhari, said officers had been sent and arrests made.
He urged community, traditional and religious leaders to warn local people not to launch reprisal attacks.
“The killings are being investigated and residents are assured that indicted persons will be prosecuted,” he said.
more recommended stories
Dozens of mourners ‘killed by Boko Haram’ at a funeral in north Nigeria
An attack this weekend by suspected.
Nigerians Get Google Directions in a Local Accent
The technology giant Google has given.
President Buhari says people should ignore call for Fulani to move north
Nigerian President Muhammadu Buhari has asked.
Nigeria signs Africa free trade agreement
Nigeria has signed an agreement which.
At least 40 killed in oil tanker explosion in Nigeria
At least 40 people have died.
Nigerian dictator’s ill-gotten millions ‘to be shared’
Hundreds of millions of dollars recovered.