Sudan’s President Omar al-Bashir has been forced to step down and by the military leadership of the Sudanese army.
It has been reported that consultations are under way to set up a transitional council to run the country, government sources and a provincial minister said on Thursday.
The minister of production and economic resources in North Darfur Adel Mahjoub Hussein told the Dubai-based al-Hadath TV that “there are consultations to form a military council to take over power after President Bashir stepped down”.
The military made an announcement on, state television saying that troops had been deployed in Khartoum.
“The armed forces will present an important statement shortly. Be ready for it,” the announcement on state television read, without giving further details.
The army and security services deployed troops around the defence ministry and on major roads and bridges in the capital as thousands of people flocked to an anti-government protest outside the ministry. Sources on the ground have confirmed.
Tens of thousands of Sudanese took to the streets in the centre of Khartoum in jubilation, dancing and chanting anti-Bashir slogans.
Protesters outside the defence ministry chanted: “It has fallen, we won.”
State television and radio played patriotic music, reminding older Sudanese of how military takeovers unfolded during previous episodes of civil unrest.
more recommended stories
Australia allows international travel for first time during Covid-19 pandemic
Australia will lift a ban on.
DR Congo election chief sworn in after disputed nomination
Democratic Republic of Congo’s constitutional court.
Guinea coup leader picks Mandela prize winner as foreign minister
Conakry, Guinea – Guinea’s military leader.
Moderna to sell Africa with up to 110 million COVID doses
NAIROBI, Kenya — Moderna says it.
Ministers, party leaders detained in apparent coup in Sudan: Sources
oldiers arrested most of the members.
Uganda: Islamic State claims responsibility for bomb attack
Islamic state claimed responsibility for a.
Suspected bomb attack in Kampala Uganda after terror warnings
Police said a “serious blast” occurred.
South Africa: Nigerian man sentenced to 45 years for trafficking women, forcing them into sex work
A Nigerian man Alaba Makonjuola Asabi,.