In the past few minutes the World Health Organization’s chief, Dr Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, has been speaking about US President Donald Trump’s decision to halt funding for the organisation.
He said the WHO regretted the move, but added: “Our commitment to public health, science, and to serving all the people of the world without fear or favour remains absolute.”
Dr Tedros said the agency was “reviewing” the impact of the withdrawal of US funds to “ensure our work continues uninterpreted”.
What is the WHO – and who funds it?
- Founded in 1948 and based in Geneva, Switzerland, it is the UN agency responsible for global public health
- Has 194 member states, and aims to “promote health, keep the world safe and serve the vulnerable”
- Involved in vaccination campaigns, health emergencies and supporting countries in primary care
- Funded by a combination of members’ fees based on wealth and population, and voluntary contributions
- US provided 15% of its 2018-19 budget – with more than $400m
- China gave about $86m in 2018-19
more recommended stories
Trump’s lawyer former associate found guilty of illegal campaign financing
Lev Parnas, a former associate of.
Donald Trump launches social media platform called Truth Social
After being banned from several social.
Health experts warn Boris Johnson of pending Covid crisis
Health experts have warned British Prime.
N Korea fires suspected submarine-launched ballistic missile
North Korea launched a ballistic missile.
Rapper Kanye West officially changes his name to ‘Ye’
Kanye West has officially changed his name.
Former U.S Secretary of State Colin Powell Dies From COVID
Colin Powell, the first Black U.S..
Bill clinton back home after hospitalization from infection
ORANGE, Calif. (AP) — Bill Clinton.
British MP stabbed to death in terrorist linked attack
A British Member of Parliament (MP).