South Africans have been told to prepare living with the threat of coronavirus for a year or even more.
President Cyril Ramaphosa said people will still be expected to social distance, wear masks and wash their hands for a while.
He used his weekly newsletter on Monday to warn that “it will not be life as we knew it before” even as restrictions are being eased.
He said this as he warned that the national lockdown eased to level 4 to allow a number of businesses to operate will result in inevitable increase in the number of infected people.
As of late Sunday, 10,015 people had been infected with the novel Covid-19 in SA, with 194 dreported deaths.
“While there is still much about the pandemic that is unknown, experts now agree that the virus will remain a threat to global public health for some time,” Ramaphosa said.
“We must therefore be prepared to continue to live with the coronavirus among us for a year or even more. We must be prepared for a new reality in which the fight against Covid-19 becomes part of our daily existence.”
He warned that the number of infections is expected to increase. South Africa has passed the 10,000 mark of new infections.
more recommended stories
Nigerian TV stations fined for protest coverage
The Nigerian National Broadcasting Commission (NBC).
Ghana presidential hopefuls disqualified over ‘faked’ papers
Five presidential candidates have been disqualified.
Fraudster Frank Ndlayana aka Dr. Miz Mzwake Tancredi exposed
Just when you thought you had.
Fake Prophet in Vaal, cooked up HIV test kits
The under-fire-leader of New Life church.
Self proclaimed prophet kills wife
Sylvester Ofori a self proclaimed prophet.
Police and protesters clash as Mali starts post-coup transition talks
The first day of consultations over.