Guinea’s World Cup qualifier against Morocco has been postponed after a Guinean army colonel seized control of state television and said the government had been dissolved on Sunday,
The West African nation was due to host Morocco in the capital of Conakry on Monday. No new date has been set for the fixture.
The Confederation of African Football said the postponement was “to ensure the safety and security of all players and to protect all match officials.”
There were hours of heavy gunfire near the presidential palace in Conakry on Sunday in developments that bore all the hallmarks of a coup d’etat.
“The current political and security situation in Guinea is quite volatile and is being closely monitored by FIFA and CAF,” the governing bodies said in a statement.
more recommended stories
Sudan state media report ‘failed’ military coup
Sudanese authorities reported a coup attempt.
South Africa to intensify efforts to get off the United Kingdom’s Red travel list
The South African Government has announced.
SCOAN names TB Joshua’s wife, Evelyn as new church leader
The Synagogue Church of All Nations.
Guinea coup soldiers order government ministers for a meeting
Soldiers who seized power in Guinea.
United States condemns apparent ouster of Guinea president
The United States condemned events on.
Brazil-Argentina World Cup qualifying match suspended after local health authorities interrupt play
A World Cup qualifier between Brazil.