Harare- The Zimbabwe Republic Police (ZRP) has rubbished Sky News reporting which they broadcast a video footage showing law enforcement agents assaulting a civilian.
Addressing Journalists at Police Headquarters in Harare on Tuesday, ZRP spokesperson Commissioner Charity Charamba rubbished the video footage saying the incident occurred in 2016.
“The video that was broadcast on Sky News was an incident that occurred in July 2016 during an operation to clean up touts.
“We have since cross checked the registration of the vehicle and approached the owner and we discovered that the vehicle has actually been sold to two people in the period between 2016 and 2019” said Charamba
Charamba was however, quick to say that they do not condone such actions by security personnel.
“We are not saying what those members did was correct, investigations are underway to get the culprits but we cannot pre-empt our investigations” she said
There have been allegations of assault of civilians from members of the security forces that is the army and the police.
This follows last week’s protests that left 12 people dead, 68 shot whilst hundreds were and injured in which people were protesting against fuel price hikes.
Commissioner Charamba confirmed that over a thousand suspects had been arrested with some appearing in court.
She also said they have received one case of rape as opposed to the many that are said to have been sexually assaulted, however, she called for those who have been sexually victimised to report any assaults.
more recommended stories
United Kingdom speaks on Nigeria’s elections
The British Government has urged Nigerians.
Former US Vice President Joe Biden says will decide soon whether to run for presidency
Former U.S. Vice President Joe Biden,.
9 illegal miners rescued in Zimbabwe; dozens more feared dead
At least Nine illegal miners have.
Bulawayo plunged into darkness; Thieves suspected to have stolen power cables
ZIMBABWE: Cable theft at one of.